The zombies have returned! The horror begins again as mysterious barrels bounce off an Army transport as it passes through a new housing development and land near an abandoned cemetery. Mischievous neighborhood boys discover the barrels and open them, unaware of the evil contained within. A deadly green vapor escapes and turns the living into flesh-eating zombies and causes the dead to rise from their graves. As these hideous living dead hunt down the fresh human brains they need, man is pitted against man, and the living against the dead. It is a macabre struggle for survival!
Return of the Living Dead is a bucket list title for some. It has long been rumored that Scream Factory would release it, fueled mostly by their release of the first movie, so when they announced the Collector’s Edition Blu-ray, it was no surprise to most. Return of the Living Dead Part II’ was written and directed by Ken Wiederhorn and stars Thom Mathews, Michael Kenworthy, Marsha Dietlein and Dana Ashbrook. Once again the evil is unleashed because of a lost canister containing a member of the undead, and enough of the re-agent to reanimate all of the town’s corpses. A couple of brats happen upon the canister, and sentence their little town to damnation in the form of a talking zombie apocalypse.
As far as the Return of the Living Dead series goes, the second movie is middling for me. It’s not as good as the first movie, and not nearly as over-the-top as part 3. I’ve noticed some claiming that like it better than the original, which is absurd to me, but hey, you can only like what you like, right? It is a funny movie, don’t get me wrong. Plenty of antics, including a talking zombie with a screwdriver through its severed head, make ROTLD2 well worth the ninety minutes, but it never manages to capture that same magic as the first film. It’s still an entertaining watch, and well worth revisiting. It had been so long since my last viewing of this movie, so I honestly mostly forgot about it. I had fun with it this time around, so it stands the test of time at least.
Scream Factory’s Blu-ray release of Return of the Living Dead Part II is excellent. I have no complaints at all about the video quality of this release. The audio options are even more impressive. When this movie hit DVD it had a different soundtrack, which is the main track on this Blu-ray, or, you can select the “Alternate” soundtrack, and hear the original music. The video is an H.264 1080p transfer presented in 1.85:1, and averages 35Mbps bitrate. The main audio track is Stereo DTS 2.0, and the “Alternate(original) audio track is Dolby Digital at 192 Kbps. The disc comes packed with extras. Plenty of retrospective documented interviews with those involved in the production of this film, as well as commentaries and more. See complete details below. Return of the Living Dead Part II is available in a Collector’s Edition Blu-ray release courtesy of Scream Factory. I highly recommend the disc. You may purchase a copy for yourself by visiting the Shout! Factory website.
- NEW 2K Scan From The Interpositive
- NEW Audio Commentary With Actress Suzanne Snyder
- NEW Audio Commentary With Gary Smart (Co-author Of The Complete History Of The Return Of The Living Dead) And Filmmaker Christopher Griffiths
- NEW Back To The Dead: The Effects Of “Return Of The Living Dead Part II” – Including Interviews With Special Make-up Effects Creator Kenny Myers And Special Make-up Effects Artists Andy Schoneberg And Mike Smithson
- NEW The Laughing Dead – An Interview With Writer/Director Ken Wiederhorn
- NEW Undead Melodies – An Interview With Composer J. Peter Robinson
- NEW Interview With Actor Troy Fromin
- Audio Commentary With Writer/Director Ken Wiederhorn And Co-star Thor Van Lingen
- They Won’t Stay Dead: A Look At Return Of The Living Dead Part II Including Interviews With James Karen, Thom Matthews, Brian Peck, Kenny Myers, Susan Snyder, Michael Kenworthy, And More…
- Archival Featurette – Live From The Set
- Archival Interviews With Ken Wiederhorn, James Karen, Thom Matthews, And Kenny Myers
- Behind-the-scenes Footage
- Theatrical Trailer And Teaser Trailer
- TV Spots
- Still Gallery Of Posters And Stills
- Still Gallery Of Behind-the-scenes Stills From Makeup Effects Artists Kenny Myers And Mike Smithson