Reviews like this are tough, because a movie like Return of the Living Dead has been discussed-to-death on the internet for at least the last two decades. What can one possibly say that another hasn’t already? In addition to that, this is also the third Blu-ray release of the film I have seen. There was the disappointing MGM release in 2010, and then much better Second Sight release from the UK that dropped in 2012 and resurrected the original audio track containing the songs that were cut from the US release. And here comes Scream Factory to topple them all. Sorry to spoil my review, but this is the definitive Blu-ray release of Return of the Living Dead. I have never seen this movie look so beautiful in all the years I have watched it. Couple with that, the fact that there are several audio options for you to choose from, all of which sound fantastic if you have a decent enough sound system. It comes complete with so many pieces of bonus content that they had to throw in a whole extra Blu-ray disc. If you’ve held out for the ultimate home video release, it is here.
Scream Factory’s Blu-ray release of the film is absolutely gorgeous. Some will complain that there is a song missing from the soundtrack, but for most people it’s not going to bother them. Hell people happily bought that US release with a butchered soundtrack. This is the mostly definitive version of the movie, even taking Second Sight’s release with the complete original soundtrack into account. Yeah, that steelbook was nice, but this is an extremely impressive release. Usually when a movie that has been released by a boutique label in another region is released in the US, you can either take it or leave it. You wouldn’t be missing out much if you kept your original import. But in this case, fans of the movie are going to need this for the collection, if not for the beautiful new transfer created with a 2k scan of the interpositive, this release is wall-to-wall bonus content, ranging from brand new commentaries and a retrospective documentary, to several featurettes with interviews and discussion about special effects, music, and even more. If you’re a fan of Return of the Living Dead, this is Christmas in July. This 2-disc Collector’s Edition Blu-ray is now available, and you should buy your copy over at the Shout! Factory website.
THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD
2-DISC COLLECTOR’S EDITION BLU-RAY™ SET
RISING ON JULY 19, 2016
Writer/director Dan O’Bannon (Alien, Lifeforce) puts an uproarious spin on the zombie apocalypse movie in 1985’s cult classic THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, starring Clu Gulager (A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge), James Karen (Mulholland Drive) and Don Calfa (Weekend at Bernie’s). Considered one of the campiest undead romps of its time, the film helped launch the career of scream queen Linnea Quigley (Night of the Demons, Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama) and features a killer soundtrack with tracks from many songs from punk artists such as The Cramps, T.S.O.L. SSQ and 45 Grave. On July 19, 2016, SCREAM FACTORY™ is proud to present THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD Collector’s Edition Blu-ray set, which includes a brand new 2K scan of the film and over 12 hours of extras!
This definitive set includes a collectible slipcover featuring newly rendered artwork and a reversible cover wrap featuring original theatrical key art. A must-have for movie collectors, zombie horror enthusiasts and loyal fans, THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD Collector’s Edition Blu-ray is available for pre-order now at ShoutFactory.com and will be made available to other fine retailers.
Special Features and Specs:
- NEW 2K scan of the inter-positive
- NEW Audio Commentary with Gary Smart (co-author of The Complete History of the Return of the Living Dead) and Chris Griffiths
- Audio Commentary with director Dan O’Bannon and Production Designer William Stout
- Audio Commentary with the cast and crew featuring Production Designer William Stout and actors Don Calfa, Linnea Quigley, Brian Peck, Beverly Randolph, Allan Trautman
- The Decade of Darkness – featurette on ‘80s horror films (23 minutes)
- Theatrical Trailers
- TV Spots
- Still Gallery – Posters, Lobby Cards, Movie Stills and Behind-the-Scenes photos
- Still Gallery – Behind-the-Scenes photos from special make-up effects artist Kenny Myers’ personal collection
- Zombie Subtitles for the Film
- In Their Own Words – The Zombies Speak
- NEW The FX of the Living Dead with Production Designer William Stout, FX make-up artists William Munns, Tony Gardner, Kenny Myers and Craig Caton-Largnet, Visual Effects artists Bret Mixon and Gene Warren Jr. and actor Brian Peck (Expanded Version) (30 minutes)
- NEW Party Time: The Music of The Return of the Living Dead with music consultants Budd Carr and Steve Pross and soundtrack artists Dinah Cancer (45 Grave), Chris D (The Flesh Eaters), Roky Erickson, Karl Moet (SSQ), Joe Wood (T.S.O.L.), Mark Robertson (Tall Boys) plus musicians Greg Hetson (Circle Jerks) and John Sox (The F.U.’s, Straw Dogs), (Expanded Version) (30 minutes)
- NEW HORROR’S HALLOWED GROUNDS – revisiting the locations of the film
- Return of the Living Dead Workprint – includes 20 minutes of additional footage (in Standard Definition)
- More Brains: A Return to the Living Dead – The definitive documentary on The Return of the Living Dead (120 minutes)
- A Conversation with Dan O’Bannon – His final interview (28 minutes)
- The Origins of the Living Dead – an interview with John A. Russo (16 minutes)
- The Return of the Living Dead – The Dead Have Risen – interviews with cast members Clu Gulager, James Karen, Don Calfa, Brian Peck, Thom Mathews, Beverly Randolph, Linnea Quigley and more… (21 minutes)
- Designing the Dead – interviews with writer/director Dan O’Bannon and production designer William Stout (15 minutes)
1080p High-Definition Widescreen (1.85:1)/ DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1/1985/Color/R/91 mins./Region A/Subtitles: English/Special Features are Unrated
Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the cemetery, those brain-eating zombies are back and hungry for more tasty mortals. A fiendish mix of outrageous humor and heart-stopping terror, THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD is a veritable smorgasbord of fun (LA Herald-Examiner) filled with skin-crawling jolts, eye-popping visuals and relentless surprise! On his first day on the job at an army surplus store, poor Freddy unwittingly releases nerve gas from a secret U.S. military canister, unleashing an unbelievable terror. The gas re-animates an army of corpses, who arise from their graves with a ravenous hunger for human brains! And luckily for those carnivorous cadavers, there is a group of partying teens nearby, just waiting to be eaten!
HEMDALE FILM CORPORATION presents
A FOX FILMS LTD. Production “THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD”
CLU GULAGER, JAMES KAREN, DON CALFA Director of Photography JULES BRENNER
Co-Producer GRAHAM HENDERSON Executive Producers JOHN DALY and DEREK GIBSON
Screenplay by DAN O’BANNON Story by RUDOLPH J. RICCI & JOHN RUSSO & RUSS STREINER
Produced by TOM FOX Directed by DAN O’BANNON
Shout! Factory will continue to present the on-going SCREAM FACTORY™ home entertainment series in 2016 with specific release dates, extras and key art. Meanwhile, fans are encouraged to visit the Scream Factory main website(www.screamfactorydvd.com), follow them on Facebook (www.facebook.com/ScreamFactoryDVD) and Twitter (www.Twitter.com/@Scream_Factory) or to view exclusive video content on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/ScreamFactoryTV/Home