When Mike and his girlfriend Debbie warn the local police that a gang of homicidal alien-clowns have landed in the nearby area (in a spaceship shaped like a circus big-top, no less), the cops are naturally sceptical. Before long however, reports are coming in from other anxious residents detailing similar run-ins with the large-shoed assailants. There can no longer be any doubt – the Killer Klowns from Outer Space are here, and they’re out to turn the Earth’s population into candy floss!
Killer Klowns From Outer Space is a cult movie with a pretty big following. Though it has a prior Blu-ray release, learning that none-other-than Arrow would be releasing their version filled this fan with glee, as I’m sure could be said about the rest. Arrow is damn good at what they do, and even a movie that’s already available on the format is well worth the double dip. As far as the movie itself, I am a big fan. I always have been. I remember watching Killer Klowns repeatedly on HBO as a young one. Yes, I already own the previous release, but that doesn’t reduce my excitement over Arrow’s release in any way whatsoever.
One of the things that makes Killer Klowns so memorable is the special effects. The directors grew up making homemade stop-motion pictures, and it’s definitely a skill that is on display here. The “Klown” effects are excellent, though a first time viewer might find them a bit dated. For the time, though, Killer Klowns was one of my favorite “monster” movies because of those effects.
In movies like this, folks are always worried that the beautiful clarity of the Blu-ray format will expose some of the seams in the effects gags, but even if that’s true, its hard to notice, especially with Arrow’s excellent restoration of the film. I’ve seen this movie dozens of times, and this felt like the first time again. Sourced from the original camera negative, and lovingly restored to 4K, Arrows Blu-ray release of Killer Klowns From Outer Space is perfect in almost every conceivable way. The video quality far surpassed any expectations I had, even as familiar with Arrow’s body of work as I am. The audio quality is great as well, but this transfer is stunning. If you’re like me, and you already owned this movie on Blu-ray, do yourself a favor and spend the money for the Arrow edition. You will not be sorry.
Arrow’s Blu-ray release of Killer Klowns From Outer Space is now available in both a special edition, as well as an FYE exclusive edition with a different slipcover.
- Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original camera negative
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Newly remastered stereo 2.0 and 5.1 DTS-HD MA audio options
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Archive audio commentary with the Chiodo Brothers
- Let the Show Begin! Anatomy of a Killer Theme Song – an all-new interview with the original members of the American punk band, The Dickies
- The Chiodos Walk Among Us: Adventures in Super 8 Filmmaking – all-new documentary highlighting the making of the Chiodo Brothers childhood films, from the giant monster epics made in their basement to their experiments in college
- New HD transfers of the complete collection of the Chiodo Brothers 8mm and Super 8 films, including Land of Terror, Free Inside, Beast from the Egg, and more!
- Tales of Tobacco – an interview with star Grant Cramer
- Debbie’s Big Night – an interview with star Suzanne Snyder
- Bringing Life to These Things – a tour of Chiodo Bros. Productions
- The Making of Killer Klowns – archive production featurette
- Visual Effects with Gene Warren Jr. – archive interview with co-writer/producer Charles Chiodo and visual effects supervisor Gene Warren Jr.
- Kreating Klowns – archive interview with Charles Chiodo and creature fabricator Dwight Roberts
- Komposing Klowns – archive interview with composer John Massari
- Klown Auditions
- Deleted Scenes with filmmaker’s audio commentary