I love all things Body Snatcher. Every remake, every attempt at incorporating the core elements into other flavors of horror, and every pop culture reference, ever. There, I said it. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and especially the ’78 version, is up there with Night of the Living Dead for me, as one of the most important horror films of our time. I love the ’56 version as well, but this is every bit as good, and in some ways better, and I saw it first, when I was a kid, so it holds a special place in my heart. This is another horror movie that existed on Blu-ray prior to Scream Factory’s release, but it existed as such a barebones vanilla MGM/FOX Home Video release, that I squeed with glee when I read that Scream Factory would be giving it their Collector’s Edition treatment.
Scream Factory’s Collector’s Edition is Blu-ray-of-the-year material. Not only does the film itself look and sound better than it ever did, but it comes pretty stacked with extras. It features a new 2K scan from the interpositive, a director’s commentary, a hefty chunk of retrospectives featuring cast and crew interviews, an episode of Science Fiction Theater based on Jack Finney’s novel The Body Snatchers, the source of inspiration for every film incarnation of this story. This release is gorgeous, both inside and out, and stacked to the walls. This is the release of this film that you need to get, guys, so even if you already have the previous release, click here and buy this thing. You won’t regret it.
Scream Factory Presents
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Collector’s Edition)
On Blu-ray August 2, 2016
Starring Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams, Jeff Goldblum and Leonard Nimoy
The seed is planted…terror grows. On August 2, 2016, the terrifying sci-fi classic Invasion of the Body Snatchers will be presented like never before in a Collector’s Edition Blu-ray from Scream Factory. Featuring a new HD transfer, this release also comes packed with new bonus features, including interviews and audio commentary with cast and crew, and a limited-edition collectible slipcover with newly rendered artwork.
Under cover of darkness, while an unsuspecting city sleeps, an alien life form begins to sow the seeds of unspeakable terror. Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams, Leonard Nimoy, Veronica Cartwright and Jeff Goldblum star in this shocking, “first-rate suspense thriller” (Newsday).
One by one, the residents of San Francisco are becoming drone-like shadows of their former selves. As the phenomenon spreads, two Department of Health workers, Matthew (Sutherland) and Elizabeth (Adams), uncover the horrifying truth: Mysterious pods are cloning humans — and destroying the originals! The unworldly invasion grows stronger with each passing minute, hurling Matthew and Elizabeth into a desperate race to save not only their own lives, but the future of the entire human race.
- NEW 2K scan of the interpositive
- NEW Star-Crossed in The Invasion – an interview with actress Brooke Adams (9 minutes)
- NEW Leading the Invasion – an interview with actor Art Hindle (25 minutes)
- NEW Re-Creating The Invasion – an interview with writer W.D. Richter (16 minutes)
- NEW Scoring the Invasion an interview with composer Denny Zeitlin (15 minutes)
- NEW Audio Commentary with author/film historian Steve Haberman
- Audio Commentary by director Philip Kaufman
- Re-Visitors From Outer Space, or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Pod – including interviews with director Philip Kaufman, screenwriter W.D. Richter, director of photography Michael Chapman and actors Donald Sutherland and Veronica Cartwright (15 minutes)
- Practical Magic: The Special Effects Pod (4 minutes)
- The Man Behind The Scream: The Sound Effects Pod – an interview with Ben Burtt and sound editor Bonnie Koehler (12 minutes)
- The Invasion Will Be Televised: The Cinematography Pod (5 minutes)
- Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spots
- Radio Spots
- Photo Gallery
- An episode of SCIENCE FICTION THEATRE, Time is Just A Place, based on Jack Finney’s short story. Directed by Jack Arnold.
Shout! Factory will continue to present the on-going SCREAM FACTORY™ home entertainment series in 2016 with specific release dates, extras and key art. Fans are encouraged to visit Shout! Factory’s website (www.ShoutFactory.com), follow the brand on Facebook (www.facebook.com/ScreamFactoryDVD) and Twitter (@Scream_Factory), and view exclusive video content on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/ScreamFactoryTV/Home).